Stanford University Museum of Art Galleries
client: Stanford University
location: Palo Alto, CA | size: 44,000 sq ft | opened: 1998
Founded in 1891, the Stanford University Museum of Art (a.k.a. The Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts) developed a collection of artwork from many eras and all over the world. The Museum closed in 1989 due to earthquake damage, but was restored, expanded, and reopened as The Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts in 1998.
At the time of the restoration, LCS had recently moved to Seattle and was comprised of Mindy only, plus one assistant, Juliet Hebert (now Anderson). We were hired to develop the master plan for the galleries, design all exhibit furniture and supports, choose wall colors, and consult on graphic design and lighting. The project reinstalled nineteen galleries, including modern and contemporary, Ancient Mediterranean, Asian, Rodin, European, American, prints, drawings, and a temporary gallery.
Over two years, we organized the input of 10 (sometimes warring) curators, Museum Director, and technical and administrative staff to achieve an intelligent exhibition design that not only succeeded for the reinstallation’s opening shows, but for the long-term. As added value, we gave the museum nineteen gallery models with all artwork to scale so that they could plan for the future.
Those who care about the arts in the Bay Area will be thrilled by what they see. – Kenneth Baker, San Francisco Chronicle